Friday, November 4, 2011

Lettuce Give Thanks

I am thankful for the lovely rain and cooler temperatures.DSC_2208_7138

The recent sweet rain allowed me one morning without having to irrigate.  Imagine.  Having enough time in the morning to enjoy some buttermilk pancakes and sausages. 

All the lettuce is coming in nice and thick and ready for thinning.  Parris Island Romaine is sharing a row with Marville of Four Seasons.    The Romaine is solid green with long, crisp leaves.DSC_2210_7140The Marville is very similar in shape but it has a bronze tint at the tip of the leaves that aren’t quite as crisp as the Romaine.  It’s a nice combination.  Since it appears that most every seed has sprouted, I would like to try to transplant as well as thin the seedlings so that we can enjoy fresh lettuce all winter long.

If you’re looking to try to grow vegetables this winter (zone 8-9), lettuce might be an easy choice.  There still might be a few warm days left to help germinate the seeds.  Just keep the seeds moist in a sunny bed/location.  If a frost/freeze is predicted, the tender plants will need protection.  The Tule fog in the San Joaquin Valley will help to keep established lettuce moist from November – February.  Sandwiches, salads, and wraps taste better with just picked lettuce. 

Tip:  Drown just picked leaves to reveal any hiding pests like earwigs.  I’ll be shopping for a new salad spinner to help provide fresh salads.

3 comments:

Sue said...

If you find a DECENT lettuce spinner, let us know. I don't like the one I have at all!

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

Your lettuce looks beautiful. I can't wait to get back in the garden. I've been pretty sick but getting over it now. Thank you for inspiring me :)

Lo said...

I admire and envy your lettuce.

Re your query on my blog as to why I don't forgo the yard sale for ebay....I have never learned how to set up to sell on ebay and besides.....there is all that damned shipping. Maybe you can teach me if my yard sale fails.