Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Frosted Scotch

DSC_2201_7225

Frost formed on the Scotch Moss this morning.  Thank goodness.  More freezing weather is good for the fruit trees.  Well, not so good for the citrus trees.  Citrus is covered on super cold nights (in the 20s) using a beach umbrella draped in plastic.  It’s easy up and easy down.

Now that the freezer door is open, California needs some moisture in the form of snow up in the high Sierras.  Many are getting nervous that the hopes of another bountiful water year will be dashed.  I’m hopeful but practical.  The garden is equipped with water saving irrigation.  Nothing radical – just practical.  I’m ready either way. 

You know I’m just happy to not be wearing swamp pants.  And that’s the truth.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You must be cold! :)

Donna said...

What a pretty frosty photo. Hope you get some snow.

Happy Holidays!

dorothy said...

I would not have thought to use a beach umbrella but that would be perfect! The forecast for tomorrow morning is 26º. I may need to cover my little Washington navel!