Monday, November 11, 2013

Garden in the Kitchen

 The hope was to keep the soapstone natural or naked.  I like the cadet blue-grey.  However, a kitchen accident splashing chicken fat all over the stone was the straw that broke this camel's back.  The stone was cleaned, dried, then wax was applied.  The wax makes the surface a little more forgiving to everyday wear.  I like the way it turned out so giving up the naked stone wasn't so hard.  Now I need to  decorate the walls.

Soapstone - naked

Soapstone - waxed
A photograph applied to canvas is something that I'm considering.  An extra large canvas (48" x 36") should work great on one of the empty walls (not shown here).  So I'm thinking of bringing some of the garden into the kitchen and don't know which version of my tomato looks best.

Tomato - bright
Tomato - dark
But 1st I need to find a reliable source to print the photograph to canvas.  Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. 

8 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

Your kitchen is just so beautiful. I like both of the tomato prints - they are actually quite different, once you really start looking. I look forward to seeing which one you decide upon, hanging up!

dorothy said...

Your kitchen turned out great! I like everything about it, the range, the cabinets, the countertop. You are going to have fun decorating! I thought I saw canvas photo prints advertised at Costco. I've never had it done, but what a great idea for your kitchen!

L said...

Waxed and dark

L said...

I mean bright

ChoitsRun said...

Love the kitchen and love the dark tomato photo.

Sue said...

I've always had great luck with Walgreens photo products.
The kitchen turned out gorgeous!

kellypea said...

Gorgeous kitchen! I have that stove, but without the metal backing. It's been running strong for eight years. My friend has soapstone on her counters and they use mineral oil, occasionally reapplying.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Dark. You can do your own canvas...print out your photo, purchase the right size canvas, paint the canvas the color of the walls you will display it on. Then decopauge the photo onto the canvas. My daughter did it to photos in her home..it is a lovely personal touch. I have also heard that some Walgreens Stores can do a canvas photo:)