Friday, March 23, 2018

Lilac Success

Lilac (Allen)
Lilac (Helen)


 Both varieties of lilacs are blooming.  Helen hasn't bloomed in years.  She was relocated in the fall (2017).  Maybe that did the trick.  Allen has always been a steady and reliable bloomer.  Neither are ever pruned or fertilized much.  Both are in the same size pot and are located close to each other.  Their growing conditions are the same.  Why is Helen so shy to bloom?

The Old Farmer's Almanac offers some good points for growing lilacs successfully.  Maybe I should consider starting some cuttings of Helen and see if I have success.  It is impossible to have too many lilacs.


4 comments:

Brenda said...

Love your lilacs! We have an old one from the 50's at our son's place. Not sure what variety it is, but it's at least 20 feet tall with dark purple blooms covering the whole thing.

David said...

Maybelline, I love Lilacs. I have named mine too. Her name is Lila. She was shaded by a huge Red bud tree for several decades and never really bloomed much. The Red Bud tree was invaded by a colony of carpenter ants that killed the tree. After the shade was gone, Lila has bloomed her heart out to make up for all those years of deficiency.

I didn't know Lilacs could be started from cuttings. I might try to start some as I so like the Spring Lilac aroma that comes from the blooms.

It's really good to hear from you again. Have the best day you can.

Nebraska Dave

ลำยอง said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ลำไย said...

It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here!สล็อตแตกง่าย