Friday, September 3, 2010

The Finish Line is in Sight

DSC_2085_5054

Autumn officially begins in less than 3 weeks.  The days are getting noticeably shorter and there is hope that this weekend will be some of the last days over 100 degrees.  The chrysanthemums are showing up in the nurseries.  I just picked up a big potted Mum at Costco.  I know.  I know.  That’s not a nursery; but I was filling my cart and had room for one.  Come on.  It’s not like you never did any impulse shopping.  To be fair, I put back some shorts I was going to use for fall gardening; so it’s a wash.

Some official markers of summer ending in Kern County are the Wasco Rose Festival, Village Fest (sells out regularly), Bakersfield College FootballKern County Fair, and Oildorado Days in Taft.  None of these events are big time Disneylike galas.  They are all small town good fun.  If you’re travelling down the spine of California and find yourself looking for something to do, give one of these a shot.  All of us here in Kern County have something to celebrate.  We made it through another summer.

1 comment:

Melissa Price said...

Maybelline, I saw the mums at our local Costco today... they were beauties. It's hard to imagine fall a mere 3 weeks away when the weather is still so HOT. But, it'll be here before we know it. And in another few months we'll long for spring again. I adore each new season.