Friday, February 27, 2009

Hmmmmmm

I have hummingbirds year round. There are feeders outside my kitchen window (makes scrubbing pots a bit more interesting), on my patio, and outside my office window. I have a butterfly bush, lilacs, and wisteria for them to get drunk on. Those are just coming into bloom. When there aren't any blooms, the feeders help keep these guys chubby. By the way, hummingbirds eat bugs too.

If you have a feeder, make sure to keep it clean. Take it down once a week to flush, clean and sterilize. I use bleach and hot, soapy water. Here's the nectar recipe:

1 part sugar
4 parts water

Bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add sugar. Stir to dissolve. There's no need to add red food coloring. Clean and clear is best. Cool to room temperature. Fill feeder. Enjoy.

No comments: