Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lavender Success

Lavender looks successful in the garden this season. I planted seed way back in September 2010, and nothing really came of the seeds.  Now,  2 1/2 years later lavender seems to be popping up all around the garden. 
Little sprouts were growing amongst onions before Farmer MacGregor moved the seedlings and converted the bed to a melon patch.  I was pessimistic and thought the transplant would be a failure.
Wrong.
Lavender has taken root successfully in the cinder blocks.  There even appears to be a volunteer tomato thriving.
Lavender is even popping up through oregano that surrounds the pepper bed.  I don't know how these seedlings got started; but I welcome them to the garden.  I really don't think the seeds from 2010 finally germinated.  Who knows.  Perhaps the extremely dry year California is experiencing played a role.  Lavender doesn't require much water at all, draws loads of pollinators plus it smells really great.

PS - Feliz Cinco De Mayo!

7 comments:

Lo said...

I love lavender....I did not know you could grow it from seeds, except, now that I think of it, that must be how it begins.

Good luck with your serendipitous lavender.

dorothy said...

It could very well be the seeds were just waiting for the right time and conditions. I have had plants suddenly appear some years after the seeds were planted, not lavender because I've never grown it from seeds, but maybe I'll give it a try. I just bought a tiny bottle of pure lavender oil, because I read it is supposed to help cure nail fungus. Lavender is a wondeful plant!

daisy g said...

What a blessing to have lavender! I'll bet it smells heavenly! Enjoy!

HolleyGarden said...

How fun to have lavender popping up! What a lovely surprise.

Donna said...

Wow, that's great having lavender come up everywhere. I wish I had more luck with it. I love it, but maybe it's just too wet here (or I water too much)...
I love the scent.

Glennis said...

Lavender and rosemary self-seed throughout my garden. Tomatoes, not so much, although I am aware of them self-seeding everywhere else.

Glennis said...

Thanks for commenting on my photo, and coming back with detail. You're such a good photographer I really appreciate it.

I often just snap snap snap and don't really discover a good shot until much later. Conversely, when I really try to stage things or take multiple shots trying different settings, I hardly ever get what I am aiming for! Maybe I better take a class.