Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Beans Beans the Magical Fruit

DSC_1665_4334 The Borlotto Solista beans planted on 05/18/10 germinated today.  The Summer Savory seeds have been ordered.  The savory will be planted along side the beans as companions.  According to Carrots Love Tomatoes,

in Germany savory is called the bean herb because it’s good to grow with beans and also to cook with them.  It goes with onions as well, improving growth and flavor.

image Farmer MacGregor has plans to build a bean support for what should be very colorful beans.  I’ll feature more of his handy work soon.DSC_1668_4337 Also in garden news – The Black Hungarian Peppers have bloomed.  There are 5 plants sharing a bed with Serrano Peppers and Al Kuffa Tomatoes.  The garlic will make way for more Serranos.DSC_1644_4310 From left to right:  Al Kuffa tomatoes, garlic, Serrano peppers, Black Hungarian peppers. 

The beans are planted in the holes of the cinder block seen in the foreground.   Planted in the other holes are chives, thyme, marigolds, and lobelia.  There’s also lavender but you can’t see it in the photo above.

2 comments:

Missus @ Escape to the Farm said...

I love the color of the red and white beans.

It reminds me of cool laces I had in my high school sneakers. I wonder which came first? Probably the beans.

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

Those beans look amazing! My beans (blue lake) look like your top picture right now. Now for this rain to stop and sun to stay out. Here's hoping! Great pictures :)