Monday, June 7, 2010

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

DSC_1713_4391

This evening I could smell something mildly sweet.  It was tropical.  It wasn’t jasmine.  It wasn’t gardenia.  What the heck?

It’s my split leaf philodendron, for Pete’s sake.  I’ve never seen this before.  Well, I’m not counting watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  This is really  bizarro.  Take a look and make of it what you will.DSC_1712_4390

DSC_1711_4389

Okay.  That’s enough. 

You know, over at A Sonoma Garden a suggestion was made to make a bouquet each week for your home.  I think I would win a prize if I brought this into the house and set the table.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only a flower, assuming it lives long enough, you get a fruit. Here's the info (with pictures):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstera_deliciosa

HelenB

MAYBELLINE said...

*Helen - thanks. I had no idea.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that IS the craziest looking flower! I've never seen anything like it. Looks like it's sticking its tongue out!

joan said...

Wow, "monstera" is a good name for this oddity. Truth is, if you brought that to a dinner party as your floral arrangement, ah, it would sure be the topic of discussion betwixt the adults! Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- lol.

I once had a related houseplant which also suffered a severe injury. It went into a "flowering" stage promptly.

I haven't seen anything this odd since the Corpse Flower on CSI Las Vegas years ago. Thanks for posting. Truly icky and intriguing.

Great camera work too!