Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cabbage Patch

DSC_2132_5355

The raised bed at the east side of the garden has been planted with all types of brassicaceae.  Just like last fall, I believe every seed that hit the dirt has germinated.  The thinned plants are transplanted into the hole of the cinder block that form the beds.  So far, most all germinated plants have survived leaving me with hopes of a winter bounty of hearty vegetables.

image

The cabbage patch consists of

  • Early Jersey Cabbage
  • Yellow of Parma Onions
  • Mammoth Red Rock Cabbage
  • Early Wonder Beets
  • Purple of Sicily Cauliflower
  • Flat of Italy Onions
  • Early Wonder Beets (I like beets.)
  • Waltham 29 Broccoli

 

Waltham 29?!  What kind of a name is that?  I can only determine that the broccoli was bred at University of Massachusetts, Waltham Field Station, Waltham, MA around 1950. Were the names 1 through 28 already taken?  I don’t know why this name was chosen and would appreciate some background.  In the meantime, I’ll continue the research.  If anyone knows OR has a creative made up story, I would be interested in reading your ideas.

3 comments:

Melissa Price said...

You garden is looking great, Maybelline! I know you'll enjoy all that salad and cabbage this winter. I've got rutabagas and turnips in addition to cabbage and broccoli this year. Yum!

Glennis said...

Oh, my husband loves every kind of cabbage possible.

I like 'em too, but he's mad about them.

What kind of cabbages are you having for Thanksgiving?

MAYBELLINE said...

*Sweet - Thanks. I hope everything will be ok. The temperatures are getting down there & I don't have any covers on anything yet. Fingers crossed.

*Aunt - No cabbages will be ready for Thanksgiving. Your hubby might enjoy eating at a Basque restaurant. There is heavy use of cabbage in the delicious soup. Happy Thanksgiving.