Sunday, November 14, 2010

Not a Believer

DSC_2144_5365

There are some unbelievable blooms blooming in the garden in mid November.  A little chrysanthemum that my mother brought to Thanksgiving dinner last year is making a comeback in 2010 with not much attention from me.  I need to reconsider this plant since it’s nice and tough – just the way I like a plant – nice and tough.

DSC_2140_5361 The peach tree is behaving as if it’s Spring.  It did this last year.  Perhaps it’s trying to convince me that global warming is real OR perhaps it’s simply a tree attempting to reproduce before it gets cold.  And it will get cold.

 

DSC_2141_5362 The plum tree also has a few buds.  Maybe six months from now I will be enjoying the prospect of harvesting plums for the 1st time from this tree.

DSC_2138_5359 There’s a volunteer tomato thriving in the cabbage patch.  It’s doing so well that it now has about a half dozen buds on it.  Wouldn’t that be crazy to have tomatoes in the winter?

 

Since global warming believers label me a “non believer”, I thought I would chart out the hottest days ever in Bakersfield since record keeping began (which ain’t very long); so how can you argue global warming or cooling?  I know.  I know.  Lake varves, tree rings, glacial markers.  I get that. The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration provided the data I plotted out.  Here’s what I found.

image

It seems that the hottest days on record were in the 1st half of the last century; so I threw in a trend line to show me that the trend is that the highest temperatures are cooling through time.  This is in no way a scientific study.  I was simply curious to learn if the temperatures in my area are warming.  I’ll play around with some other data to see if I get a different picture.  Either way, I still believe that humans that think they cause climate change or have the power to change climate change are souls with the best of intentions for the most part.  I could be wrong.  It’s happened before.  No kidding.  It has.

I do believe in the Monkees and so should you.

1 comment:

Melissa Price said...

I'm right there with you, Maybelline. Records have not been kept long enough to make such a determination.