Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Mystery Solved

It’s not much of a mystery.  Not much of a mystery at all; but it was something that needed to be solved. 

DSC_2170_5190

Who left me this gift of bird parts just outside my patio door?  The evidence was fresh.  I had to act quickly in order to find and stay on the trail of the culprit that was responsible for this slaughter.  Oh yes.  The carcass was that of a mourning dove.  Dovie was not on her nest in the grape arbor.

DSC_2003_4952

The chick had flown off after the start of Dove Season; but Dovie would hang out in the sweet apartment she was claiming as her own like a squatter in a McMansion.  She flew down one evening feeling very safe as she landed very close to Pumpkin.  Her escape should have been a lesson.  Doves have never been guilty of being smart.  Since Dovie was nowhere around the garden, I assumed that my patio gift were her remains.  Now who committed the deed?

DSC_2173_5193 As I collected samples for the CSI lab (waste can) I noticed blood dripped onto the garden steps and pathway that had just been sprayed with grass clippings from the gasoline powered lawnmower (Note:  carbon footprint citation should be issued.).  As I was spraying off the walk and steps to loosen the blood evidence before a stain took hold (Note:  enviro citation should be issued for use of water with abandon.), I noticed that one garden kitty wasn’t hungry.  This kitty is ALWAYS hungry.  It’s hard to be hungry when your gut is full of dove.

DSC_2177_5197

Pumpkin

aka Doo Doo’s

aka The Cutest Baby One

aka Stinky

aka Devil Cat (not by me)

3 comments:

Glennis said...

Uh oh. Gruesome. Your photos are quite chilling.

The dirty little secret of doves is that they're kinda aggressive. For someone whose blog is named after doves, I can appreciate the irony that these birds of peace are actually pushy bastards.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh My..I hope it was a quick and painless death for the poor Dove..:(

MAYBELLINE said...

My guess is that the dove had a slow, tortuous death. That seems to be the way cats operate. They play with their prey until the prey is no more.