Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Teddy Bear Dud

Teddy Bear sunflowers were planted to enjoy in the garden this summer.  They are described by Lake Valley Seed as Giant six inch puffballs of sunny golden-yellow flowers.  These dwarf plants make a stunning show even when planted alone.  Flowers begin in mid-summer.  Very easy to grow and great for kids.  The surviving seeds I planted are dwarf alright; but puffballs they are not.

DSC_2194_6551

They look nothing like the images I’ve seen.  Check out the seed packet at Lake Valley Seed.  Nothing puffy about what I’m growing. 

Do you suppose the seeds are wrong OR am I doing something wrong?

6 comments:

Lo said...

No way you could turn a 6 inch puff ball into a daisy.....you wuz robbed.

Sue said...

I had seeds for that sunflower too, and it was completely different. I got mine from a friend-they looked nothing like puffballs either.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

If nothing else, it's still pretty! You should mention it to the seed company, chances are it was bad packaging and they might want to know about it.

Amy said...

That is a big difference..hmmmm. I think they are very pretty, though.

Greg Damitz said...

Wrong seeds in the packet.

dorothy said...

I see no puff or fluff...wrong seeds I think!