Saturday, September 17, 2011

Things I Learned This Week

DSC_2242_7014These dinky grape sized golden tomatoes are called Gold Current.  Farmer MacGregor prefers these over the red cherry tomatoes.  He claims they are more “tomatoey” flavored.  Did you know that one plant can produce up to 100 tomatoes?DSC_2240_7012Leaving the watermelon patch in place for the last few hot weeks of summer did, in fact, produce more melons.  There’s at least a half dozen melons tucked in under the vines.  The irrigation has been cut back in an effort to intensify the flavor.  We’ll see.  Did you know that watermelon contains about 92% water and 6% sugar?  I have no clue what makes up the remaining 2%.  Do you?DSC_2221_6962Lemon-Cream Cheese Pound Cake continues to be the number 1 reason to grow lemons.  Did you know that a basic pound cake is made up of a pound each of butter, flour, sugar, and eggs?imageI wanna go to the National Heirloom (seed) Exposition in 2012.  Lisa Paul and Farmer Fred attended and gave a couple of nice posts.  Geez.  You would think something like that would be a smash hit in the gigantic San Joaquin Valley.  Oh well.  It will be a nice excuse for a little vacation.

4 comments:

Lo said...

Hi, darling

Just a guess, but if a watermelon is 98% sugar and water I can only surmise that the remaining 2% must be fiber in the packaging..... rind etc.

Aunt Snow said...

Oh, that would be a cool festival.

I just attended a Farmer's Market festival here in Santa Monica - nice!

GirlRural.com said...

I too am putting the Heritage Expo on the calendar for next year. This year it fell right in the beginning of school for my son. Eek. Yellow pear tomatoes are our favorite and we'll be tripling our plants next year. Your Mr. may like those!

Sue said...

I had read that cutting back on watering intensifies flavor and it certainly seemed to have worked on my canteloupe--they were the best I've ever raised. So good luck with your watermelons. It will be interesting to see if it's true for them too.