Friday, October 2, 2009

Harvest Moon

It’s harvest moon; so yesterday after dinner I harvested the pumpkins. DSC_0577_1891

They are orange, green, brown, and yellow and combinations of all. Here’s probably too many pictures; but I love the fall and everything about it. DSC_0578_1892 These are Cinderella pumpkins that were planted on June 10, 2009 and harvested October 2, 2009.  On August 7, I accidentally plucked the 1st pumpkin.  It’s turned a nice, deep orange color and sits with distinction on the front step.DSC_0580_1894

The aphids came on strong in August.  Ladybugs, dragonflies, and lacewings followed after them and began munching.DSC_0591_1902 At harvest time, only one pumpkin had rotted.  I wish I had thought to take a picture.  The inside of the Cinderella pumpkin is a deep orange with very few seeds.  I believe these pumpkins will be ideal to use as lanterns.DSC_0609_1913 There were 3 hills planted that ended up growing aggressively enough to cover the entire raised bed.  The vines wove throughout the bordering marigolds and basil.  The side plants may have also helped relieve the aphid infestation.  When I was pulling out the vines, I found that some had grown through the vents of the compost bin.  In the bin, the pale vines had tangled up and filled up the inside of the bin.

Cinderella pumpkins can be recommended to be vigorous vines that produce moderate amounts of squash.  I grew these in zone 9 with full sun – except for the vines that grew into the compost bin.

6 comments:

Lisa Paul said...

my little "MoonWatch" iPhone app told me it was a Harvest Moon. But then it said last month's was also a harvest moon. Interesting, according to my app, that Native Americans, the Celts, Colonial Americans and the English all call it Harvest Moon. Except for the Wiccans for whom it's the Blood Moon. Oooooh, spooky and Halloweeny.

Green Bean said...

Beautiful. I love love love the pumpkins with all the different shades of green and orange. We also found a rouge vine though ours had two pumpkins growing on it - one a 30 pounder. We never saw it because it was growing under a mass of flowers and bushes.

MAYBELLINE said...

Lisa - I heard that the moon last month was a beaver moon; but I haven't researched that.

Maureen said...

Love the pics....love the pumpkins....luckeeeee!

MAYBELLINE said...

I stand corrected regarding the Beaver Moon. Here's what the Farmers' Almanac has to say:
Full Beaver Moon - November This was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Full Beaver Moon comes from the fact that the beavers are now actively preparing for winter. It is sometimes also referred to as the Frosty Moon.

Full Corn Moon - September This full moon's name is attributed to Native Americans because it marked when corn was supposed to be harvested. Most often, the September full moon is actually the Harvest Moon.

So now you know.

Chiot's Run said...

What lovely pumpkins! GREAT JOB!