Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hummingbird Season


At first, she was intrigued by her fresh catch.  The animal.  The huntress.  She was wild and conquering.  Her skills were sharp - almost as sharp as her teeth and claws.  She was ready.  She is ready for dove season; but today…today is hummingbird season.

Be vewy quiet.  I’m hunting hummingburds.image


Bill Bird said...

We have four hunter-killers in the house -- but only one -- the female -- can actually catch anything. The other three are content to sit and wait for something to fly into their mouths. The female -- Precious -- is very adept at catching Hummers. They tease her to no end. She gets the last laugh. If I can get to her early enough -- I can save them. It's not unusual to grab her by the scruff of her neck seconds after a catch is made -- only to have the freshly caught Hummer whiz out of her mouth once it opens. Other times -- the Hummer has not been as lucky.

Amy said...

Ahhhh....:0 I didn't expect to see a dead hummingbird. I thought I would see a beautiful photo of a bright and cheery hummer. :)
That must be one fast cat. I'm sure she is very pleased with herself.

Aunt Snow said...

Hummers are aggressive little brats, and while I don't wish them harm, I certainly don't mourn when one gets what he deserves.

DJK said...

Poor lil' guy. Oh well, thems the breaks. This is my first time putting out feeders and I have just LOVED having all the hummingbirds in the yard.

@Aunt Snow... I HAVE been buzzed a few times in the yard but for the most part, they just set and look...and let me get about two feet from them.

Here's my bird album if anyone's interested...