Friday, October 7, 2011

Winter Garden Planting

Planting is in full swing in the fall garden. 

DSC_2126_5349Winter garden fall 2010

Already planted in August are:

  • Beets – Early Wonder
  • Broccoli – Waltham 29
  • Cabbage – Copenhagen Market
  • Cauliflower – Early Snowball
  • Radishes – Sparkler

Planted the 1st weekend of October:

  • Carrots – Scarlet Nantes
  • Carrots – Tendersweet
  • Garlic
  • Oregano
  • Peas – Wando
  • Sage – Broad Leaf
  • Thyme – Common

To be planted 2nd weekend of October:

  • Beets – Early Wonder
  • Carrots – Royal Chantenay
  • Lettuce – Marvielle of Four Seasons
  • Lettuce – Parris Island Romaine
  • Onion – White Lisbon

The summer sweet peppers and Golden Currant tomatoes are still producing.  Once those have given up, more onions will be planted.

That should be pretty good to live on through the winter.  Soups – Basque, minestrone, broccoli cheese, cauliflower, garlic , squash – are all within reach of the garden.  Salads should be plentiful too.  Of course, peas and carrots go great with all that winter comfort food.

I just hope that I can beat down the bad bugs and get some great production.  The squash bugs that were disturbed when the pumpkins came out tried to lock onto the Butter Bush squash vines.  I’m picking them off as I see them plus the cooler weather might discourage them from doing much damage.  Along with the cool weather came rain.  It was great!  It was fantastic!  The garden is happy and so am I.

4 comments:

Sue said...

I just read somewhere that wrapping a piece of foil from the ground and up a few inches helps protect from squash vine borers. Seems they get in where the ground meets. Now, I'm not SURE on this, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try this (and keep picking!!!)
:)

dorothy said...

That rain was great wasn't it? My plants are looking better already. And thanks for posting your veggie planting list. I'm about ready to get started. Hope I'm not too late!

Donna said...

Wow, your winter garden is looking great! I just planted broccoli and cauliflower.

Kate said...

Beautiful Winter garden! Best of luck to you.