Sunday, October 2, 2011

Spinosad2…Good or Bad?

image

My local nursery GAVE me a bottle of Lawn & Garden Spray with Spinosad2 to try out on my squash bug infestation.  I can’t determine if this is a safe/good thing to use in my vegetable garden.  Just because something is marketed as “organic” doesn’t mean that I would like to use it on my food source. 

I haven’t used it yet.  The pumpkin vines were ripped out and bagged up to be hauled away.  I’ve stomped on, hand picked/squashed, and smashed any squash bug I find.  The survivors seem to migrate to the existing Butter Bush Squash. I’ve been checking morning, noon, and evening to remove any I find from the 4 vines.  So far so good.

But I would like to know if anyone has ever used this product and can recommend its use.  Until I learn more, I’ll just continue with my Squash Bug Stomp to control the wee beasties.

2 comments:

dorothy said...

We used Sluggo that contains spinosa to kill the earwigs on our artichoke plant. It worked great to kill the earwigs. We did eat the two artichokes that it produced. The label said safe to use on vegetables so I hope they are right!

Sue said...

I know I am a bit fanatical about what I use with my veggies, but my way of determining what is safe or not is if I can drink it. If it says to contact a poisen control center if accidentally ingested, well, why would I put it on my FOOD. I haven't found anything yet that-organic or not-that says I may drink it............