Sunday, October 16, 2011

Winter White

DSC_2198_7067I’ve been searching for a dainty white flower to help “pop” some light under the dark crimson mums and a deep burgundy Loropetalum Rubrum.  Voilà!  Violas at the local nursery would do the trick.  A couple of flats of Penny White violas help to catch sun rays where before was deep darkness.DSC_2199_7068These petite flowers are pretty tough though.  They are heat and cold tolerant.  They are also delicious to slugs and snails; so a good sprinkling of Sluggo was provided to all 72 transplants.DSC_2201_7070I’m looking forward to enjoying these very low maintenance plants until “swamp pants” weather rolls around again. Until then, we’ll both be thriving in the garden.

4 comments:

Glennis said...

I love violas - so pretty and so easy. And they sometimes self-sow.

dorothy said...

Violas was a good choice! This year I planted paludosum daisies for my 'dainty white' edging. I didn't have much luck the last time I planted them, but now that my soil is improved perhaps they will do better. Isn't this great gardening weather? My favorite time of the year!

Sue said...

I've always been impressed by violas--so dainty looking , and yet so darn tough!

Donna said...

These are beautiful!