Thursday, May 27, 2010

1st Tomatoes of the Season

image Nope.  This isn’t about strawberries AGAIN.  Today, I noticed the 1st tomatoes of the season.  Al Kuffa is the winner.  Al delivered 1st.  There are five tough bushes all with several tomatoes.   The stem end of the fruit reminds me of fairy caps.  DSC_1670_4339It’s exciting to see the 1st successful tomatoes arrive on the plants grown from seed.  The fruit should be medium sized.   Chives are planted along with the Al Kuffas as companion plants to ward off pests.  This variety comes from Iraq and will no doubt be able to endure all that Bakersfield summers will dish out.DSC_1674_4343 Since these are dwarf bushes rather than vine type tomatoes they are supported with old wire cages that have supported many, many tomatoes over the years.  Farmer MacGregor has constructed all the tomato supports for the remaining tomatoes to be strung.  I hope to be able to post about the gentleman farmer’s handy work over the Memorial Day weekend.

6 comments:

Missus@ Escape to the Farm said...

I like the "fairy caps".

I enjoy how you use your camera to look at your garden in different, and sometimes fanciful, ways.

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

Envious! My neighbor who planted at the same time has some little ones as well! We are waiting patiently here...I am thinking they are late in growth due to all this rain and cooler temps. Perhaps I need to stop looking at them so often. Maybe that's why it's hard for me to see the growth :)

Bill Bird said...

Does it count that I have tomatoes off starter plants that a friend grew from seed?

All of my starters are far too small to be producing much yet.

MAYBELLINE said...

*Missus - thanks for commenting.
*And - the heat is on the way and we'll be up to our armpits in tomatoes.
*Bill - everything counts. This time next month you will be singing a different tune.

Francesca said...

You'll soon have a tomato salad, how wonderful! That tomato shot with your beautiful lobelia in the background is fantastic!

Glennis said...

Oh, anticipation! I love the way the fruit looks - you're right about fairy caps. And the little tassel at the bottom, from the dried blossom.