Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Progress

DSC_0153_085

January 12, 2009

Two years ago the garden was under construction.  The bareroot fruit trees had just been planted and had yet to be trained in espalier.  The gravel hadn’t arrived yet for the paths.

 

DSC_1497_3865 April 7, 2010

Currently, the garden is growing with much success.  The trees, fruits, and vegetables continue to provide produce, entertainment, and exercise.

This blog was started to help keep track of what was going on in the garden.  It was a source of communication for my father to enjoy the progress of the garden.  He wasn’t able to get around very well and rarely could come into the garden to experience what was going on.  The internet is a wonderful thing.  My father has since passed away and so has a beloved garden pup.  The garden continues to grow and evolve though.

2011 should be a great year in the garden.  I intend to conquer grafting and successfully grow yellow corn.  Small goals but I’m satisfied.

Now I have seed catalogs and a couple of gardening books to enjoy during these comfortable winter months.  Before I know it, it will be time to gripe about swamp pants.

6 comments:

Melissa Price said...

I'm sorry for the loss of you father and beloved pup, Maybelline. Loss is such a hard thing for us to grapple with, isn't it? It's been a year of tremendous loss for me as well.

On a brighter note, I'm jealous of all the progress you've made in 2 years time! Remarkable. And, so you know, I wouldn't even mind having swamp pants right now. It's rare that we have actual "winter weather" in Alabama, but it's here now. In full force. I'm beside the fire as I type this... Ahhh.

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

Great progress. Your garden, fence, grass, trees - everything, looks beautiful. I'm sure your Dad would love it. So sorry for you loss.

Maureen said...

So sorry about the loss of your father. I often think of my own when I do projects around the house...imagining how he would respond and what pithy comments he would make:)

Thanks for the updates as well! Just looking at your lovely garden gives me hope...though it also makes me feel slightly guilty that our own is in such sad state right now. I'm sure it it has nothing to do with the fact that I am sitting in front of the computer screen rather than going out in the cold to pull out the last of the dead tomato plants;)

Lo said...

I am awed by your achievements......my garden looks blowsier and more disorganized with each passing day.

I still think about the childhood years when I would observe my mama and grandma on their knees in the back yard, doing something in the dirt for hours on end and wonder if they were crazy.

Heredity has now enlightened me as I kneel and grovel in the dirt myself......I know that I will not regret it when spring and summer come around.

Anonymous said...

What a great way the blog was to communicate with your father about what you were doing and how things look in your garden. My dad passed away 23 years ago and I still think about the things I am doing that he would have gotten a kick out of. Emily

Far Side of Fifty said...

How wonderful that you started this adventure to share with your Dad..I am sorry for your losses..both he and your pup..but you keep on gardening! It has evolved in two years..you are doing good! It looks fantastic! Grafting..isn't that hard to learn..I am sure there are many tutorials on the Internet..you just need a sharp pocket knife and some whips..as in branches..and some rootsocks. I learned how to do different grafts a long time ago..and had some success !! I often wonder about those trees..we moved away from where they were planted:)