Thursday, February 17, 2011

Yes Peas!

DSC_2496_5941

 

Tall Telephone Peas were planted back in September and are now finally starting to fatten up.  That’s five months.  I thought I would have peas around Christmastime.  Sheesh! 

The seeds came from Terroir Seeds with this description:

68-78 Days.  Swiss heirloom dating to 1878.  Many vines and a profusion of easy-to-pick pods with 8-9 tasty peas each.  Long season.  Pisum stavum 

The packet instructions give these directions:

As soon as soil can be worked in spring, sow peas in full sun, 2” deep and 6” apart within the rows and space the rows 2’ apart.  Germination takes 7-10 days.  Sow successively every two weeks until temperatures remain above 78 °F, and again in mid to late summer for a fall crop.  Vining types need trellises or supports.

I suppose I should have planted them in August rather than September.  Planting a couple of more rows to try to get some spring peas is probably a good idea since I come out and eat these off the vine at lunchtime. Preserving any is doubtful.  At $2.95 for 100 seeds, it’s a pretty economical way to garden. These plants are over 6’ tall.  Make sure to provide tall enough support.

Enjoy some pea facts and pea recipes at peas.org.

4 comments:

Lisa Paul said...

My peas haven't survived the cold snap we've had. Well, maybe they'll survive, but they certainly have arrested development. Five and a half months for mine too and only a few peas to show for it.

Amy said...

I like the new pink look on your blog. Peas are looking good...i just don't like to eat them.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California.

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

Christine said...

Maybelline,
How about posting an update? This is my first year successfully planting peas and I am just tickled that they have sprouted and look healthy. I probably could have planted much earlier as well. Last year I planted way too late and they never even sprouted. I'd love to see how yours look now and am interested in how good the harvest was/is. Thanks!